Product support for current Outpost users ends December 15, 2021
Please click here for more details.
Rules in Outpost are a simple, yet powerful, set of email filters that can help automate your mailboxes. Rules can be used to add or remove tags, reply with a template, assign messages to users, and much more.
Note: Rules can be created, edited, and deleted by account Owners and Admins only.
In this article:
All rules in Outpost are composed of two parts: WHEN and THEN. WHEN will look through all incoming messages for a condition or conditions, such as a sender, a tag, a keyword in the email, or the presence of an attachment. Once a message has been identified as meeting a condition in the WHEN section it proceeds to the THEN section to apply an action or actions.
Note: Rules are applied to incoming messages only. Mail that has been received prior to the creation of a rule will not be affected by the rule.
Creating a rule in Outpost
- Click on the Profile menu near the upper-right corner of the Outpost window:
- In the sidebar of the Settings page, click Rules:
On the Rules page, click the [+] sign to create a new rule:
- First give the rule a descriptive name, then select what the rule checks incoming messages for in the WHEN section.
- If you would like to set another condition in the WHEN section of the rule then select Add another condition. Conditions are applied in the order that they are entered on the WHEN list, from top to bottom. Each rule can search through incoming messages that contain either at least one of the conditions listed or all of the conditions listed.
- Select which actions are to be taken by the rule in the THEN section. Up to 20 actions can be programmed per rule. Actions are executed in the order that they appear on the list, from top to bottom.
- Select Don't process any rules after this one is applied to prevent further rules on your rule list from acting on incoming emails.
Note: Up to 200 rules may be created per Outpost account. Each rule can have up to 20 WHEN conditions and 20 THEN actions. Rules are executed in the order that they appear on the Rules list, from top to bottom. Rules may be reordered at any time by dragging the rule up or down in the rule list.
- Rule execution order can be changed by dragging the rule order icon to the desired location in the rule list.
- Rules are applied to incoming messages in the order in which they appear in the rules list, from top to bottom.
- Select Don't process any rules after this one is applied to prevent further rules on the rule list from acting on an incoming message.
Deleting rules, WHEN conditions, and THEN actions
- Click on the X to remove WHEN conditions or THEN actions from a rule.
- To delete a rule, first select a rule from the Rules list
Click on the Delete icon to delete the rule
Rules available in Outpost
Rules can analyze and take action on a number of different criteria within your email. These are broken down in to When conditions, which look through all incoming messages for the criteria that you choose, and Then actions, which act on the message with the actions that you select.
When conditions available in Outpost:
Subject - Outpost will search the subject of all incoming emails for the term and then apply the action that you select to it. Emails may be assigned to a single user, or assigned round robin to all users included in the assignment rotation.
Message body - Outpost will search the message body of all incoming emails for the term and then apply the action that you select to it.
To/From/Cc - Incoming messages to, from, or Cc'd to a a particular recipient will be searched and the selected action will be applied.
Has tag/Does not have tag/Has any tags/Has no tags - Outpost will look at how an email is tagged, based on your selection, and perform the selected action on those emails.
Assignment status - Outpost will check the assignment status of new messages and perform the selected action on that message.
Attachments - Outpost will check new messages for attachments and then perform the selected action on that message.
Then actions available in Outpost
Assign - Outpost will assign or unassign all incoming messages that meet the search criteria.
Archive - Outpost will archive all incoming messages that meet the search criteria.
Mark as read - Outpost will mark all incoming messages as read that meet the search criteria.
Star - Outpost will star all incoming messages as read that meet the search criteria.
Spam - Outpost will spam incoming messages as read that meet the search criteria.
Add/Remove Tag - Outpost will add or remove a tag to all incoming messages as read that meet the search criteria.
Forward to -Outpost will forward all incoming messages meeting the search criteria to the email address that you choose.
Reply with template - Outpost will reply to all incoming messages meeting the search criteria with a template.
More on rules: