If you're using an Outpost Hosted mailbox, Outpost sends mail on behalf of your domain. There are cases where some servers will consider this behavior suspicious. This can lead to delays in delivery of your email messages or result in your messages being flagged as "spam".
If you're finding that your emails sent from Outpost are being flagged as spam by your recipients' email accounts, there are two options you can take to resolve this problem:
- Connect your Outpost hosted mailbox to your server via SMTP. This will connect your Outpost account to your mail server so that all email messages sent by Outpost go out through your own email accounts. This is the best way to ensure your messages don't get flagged as spam.
- Set up a Sender Policy Framework (SPF) record. The SPF record tells all mail servers that your Outpost account is an "authorized sender" (not spam).
Before you begin
In order to create or edit your SPF record you will need to log in to your email domain control panel. Please contact your domain provider for more information on accessing the control panel.
Not sure if you have an SPF Record?
If you're not sure whether you already have an SPF record, here's a tool you can use to check:
- Click the following link to open the tool: http://www.mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx
- Enter your domain name into the first box (yourcompany.com)
- Click the "SPF Record Lookup" button
- If your domain has an SPF record already, its current configuration will be displayed
Setting up an SPF Record
Below is a link to an SPF Setup wizard. You can use this to set up your SPF record. You will need to know your domain name and the subdomain for your Outpost account (mycompany.teamoutpost.com).
- Click this link to open the SPF Setup Wizard: http://spfwizard.com
Adding Outpost as an authorized sender
To validate Outpost as a sender, add the following to your SPF record:
The resulting string should look similar to this:
v=spf1 a mx include:spf.teamoutpost.com -all
The instructions may sound complicated, but if you have access to a domain control panel, this should be fairly straightforward to set up. If you have an SPF record set up already, you will need to make sure to run through the wizard instead of just copying the record provided above.
If you have an SPF Record, and you don't add Outpost as an authorized sender, your outgoing mail may be flagged as spam.